Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Teaching

My passion is teaching, but unfortunately I have not been able to secure permanency within the Education Department, so I have been doing relief and contract teaching for the past 15 years or so, basically since Jessie and Kerran were both at school.

In 2006 I decided to travel a little further afield - to Keith Area School - the school I taught at during the first two years I lived in the South East and after returning from overseas in 1981! It is a Reception-Year 12 school; Salt Creek Primary School (Reception-Year 7) and Robe Primary School (Reception- Year 7) as well as Kingston Community School (Reception - Year 12) which is where Jessie and Kerran did all but one year of their schooling.

Keith is 108km east, Robe 40km south and Salt Creek 93km north of Kingston. Salt Creek is a delightful school with only approx 20 students at any one time. In Term 2, 2006 I will be teaching there one day a week - Art, Physical Education and Society and Environment. The term started with 3 new studnets, so numbers are up to 21 now!


The worst thing about the travelling is the kangaroos, wombats, emus and more recently introduced deer on the roads, especially early in the mornings and late in the afternoons.

No comments: