Sunday, February 25, 2007

Focussing on one thing at a time

Whilst our focus this week has been on Rick's heart, we are mindful of the fact that we now have to concentrate on the next phase of his wellbeing - his fitness and his prostate treatment.

Today has seen an ECG (all fine), routine chest X-Rays, increased and speedier walking, a wheelchair trip out into the atrium to get some fresh air and a bit of sun, a visit from Auntie Eileen (in the hospital next door), removal of all remaining stitches and an increase in Rick's energy levels. He's spent most of the day out of bed, but his oxygen saturation levels are still a bit low at times. We had hoped they'd stay up with the extra exercise.

The Dr says we may be discharged from hospital on Tuesday, but the cardiologist and surgeon will make that decision when they return tomorrow.

We are hoping to be able to attend at least a few sessions in the hospital's cardiac rehabilitation programme, which they run on a weekly basis, covering diet, exercise, and lifestyle changes. However, we are investigating the possibility of attending only when we are back in Adelaide for radiotherapy treatment or in getting some help from the Heart Foundation.

Whilst I'm pleased Rick will be able to come home shortly I am still a little apprehensive - we are not out of the woods yet, but by staying in Adelaide at least we'll be close to medical help if need be.

Our bathroom, toilet and laundry renovations are booked to start in the unit next week. My idea was to postpone it for a while (to allow Rick time to recuperate first) but he is determined that it should go ahead as planned.

So....all is progressing well at this point in time, and I'm sure it will continue in that vein.

Apologies to those who have been unable to reach us by phone, but I am usually gone by 9.30am and only arrive home around 10pm.

1 comment:

Annie Lambert said...

Thanks for all the detailed updates. It's been great to read everything that's been happening.I think we really need to thank God for making us humans so intelligent that we have produced the technology to save Rick's life.....I know he has a ways to go, but we will keep praying for you all. Life presents us with many challenges and you have certainly been throught a tough time these past weeks.I know our strength comes through our faith, so we pray that God sustains you all at this time.