Monday, November 06, 2006

Teaching positions

In its wisdom DECS has decided not to advertise a position at our school that I would love to have had the opportunity to apply for - SOSE, Australian Studies and English.

Despite the fact that the school wanted it advertised as a school choice position, the department is only offering it to permanently employed teachers - not those who are on the "employable" teacher register, like me.

Earlier in the year I was heartened by the fact that I could (potentially)finally apply for "school choice" positions, just like eveyone else, having resigned due to ill health and parenting some 20 odd years ago.

Whilst I agree that younger teachers need to be encouraged into the system, the system also encourages many to play the system, taking one lot of leave on top of the other.

2007 will see me continue relief (and if I'm lucky a short term contract may come along) teaching as I have been for over 15 years.

It's a long, frustrating apprenticeship! There's no continuity and not a huge amount of job satisfaction in relieving.

No comments: