Monday, January 22, 2007

Roadwatch

Several years ago Jessie and I "fought" with our school to adopt a section of roadway as part of the state Roadwatch programme. Eventually we achieved our aim, but it has been a constant struggle to get classes involved. Despite the fact that I am only a casual teacher at the school I organise the police, volunteers and the local council to do the 4 cleanups required each year.

Everyone seemed too busy last year, so only 3 cleanups were done, the last being in June 2006.

This morning, Rick and I collected 8 large bags of litter in 3 hours from the 2.5km stretch of road, going up and down both sides. Whilst the bulk of the rubbish originates from drink and food containers and packaging, some of the more unusual items included a mobile phone pad, shifting spanner, thousands of cigarette butts, drink seals by the hundreds, a McDonald's and a Hungry Jack's container (the nearest of either outlet is 150km away!!), half a tyre, numerous cardboard boxes, a pair of socks and so the list continues.

Details of the programme can be found at:
http://www.kesab.asn.au/roadwatch/index.htm
With the national Tidy Towns judging coming up at the end of February the town needs to be at its best - we won the State competition in 2006 - so we are just doing our little bit to help. Next job tomorrow will be the public garden over the road that I look after.

No comments: